About Canton Evangelical Free Church
Where we celebrate the living and true God through personal and public expressions of praise.
As disciples of Christ, we believe godly worship takes place any time believers in Christ joyfully praise His name. (Psalm 34:3). Worship is both public and personal, and God is praised whenever His name is lifted up with thankful hearts. We embrace and encourage a variety of worship styles so that every believer has the opportunity to praise God with a cheerful heart.
Where we develop our relationship with God through education and experience.
As disciples of Christ, we actively seek to develop our relationship with God through the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18). We believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God. It is the basis of our beliefs, the foundation of our faith, and the guide for our lives. By seeking a closer relationship with Him through the study of His Word, prayer, worship, service, and mutual accountability between fellow believers, we will grow in the faith and assurance of our salvation through Christ Jesus (1Peter 2:2). We promote spiritual growth and the development of character in believers both individually, and in small groups with other believers.
Where we advance the Kingdom of God through use of our gifts & talents.
As disciples of Christ, we advance the Kingdom of God through the committed use of our gifts and talents as instructed in I Peter 4:10. Every believer is to be a servant of the Lord. Each is gifted uniquely, and should have an understanding of their individual gifts so that they may be always seeking opportunities to serve. (I Corinthians 12:4-7).
Where we communicate the Good News of Jesus Christ with nonbelievers in our families, our communities, and around the world.
As disciples of Christ, we believe we are called to reach out to those who have not yet accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. In response to that calling, we will spread the Good News of Jesus Christ to those in our local communities, and around the world, according the Great Commission of Christ (Matthew 28:19,20). We understand that each of us are missionaries wherever God has placed us. We are not ashamed to proclaim the Gospel of Christ which is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes. (Romans 1:16).
Statement of Faith of The Evangelical Free Church of America
Adopted by the Conference on June 26, 2008
The Evangelical Free Church of America is an association of autonomous churches united around these theological convictions:
1. We believe in one God, Creator of all things, holy, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in a loving unity of three equally divine Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Having limitless knowledge and sovereign power, God has graciously purposed from eternity to redeem a people for Himself and to make all things new for His own glory.
2. We believe that God has spoken in the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, through the words of human authors. As the verbally inspired Word of God, the Bible is without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for salvation, and the ultimate authority by which every realm of human knowledge and endeavor should be judged. Therefore, it is to be believed in all that it teaches, obeyed in all that it requires, and trusted in all that it promises.
The Human Condition
3. We believe that God created Adam and Eve in His image, but they sinned when tempted by Satan. In union with Adam, human beings are sinners by nature and by choice, alienated from God, and under His wrath. Only through God’s saving work in Jesus Christ can we be rescued, reconciled and renewed.
4. We believe that Jesus Christ is God incarnate, fully God and fully man, one Person in two natures. Jesus—Israel’s promised Messiah—was conceived through the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived a sinless life, was crucified under Pontius Pilate, arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father as our High Priest and Advocate.
The Work of Christ
5. We believe that Jesus Christ, as our representative and substitute, shed His blood on the cross as the perfect, all-sufficient sacrifice for our sins. His atoning death and victorious resurrection constitute the only ground for salvation.
The Holy Spirit
6. We believe that the Holy Spirit, in all that He does, glorifies the Lord Jesus Christ. He convicts the world of its guilt. He regenerates sinners, and in Him they are baptized into union with Christ and adopted as heirs in the family of God. He also indwells, illuminates, guides, equips and empowers believers for Christ-like living and service.
7. We believe that the true church comprises all who have been justified by God’s grace through faith alone in Christ alone. They are united by the Holy Spirit in the body of Christ, of which He is the Head. The true church is manifest in local churches, whose membership should be composed only of believers. The Lord Jesus mandated two ordinances, baptism and the Lord’s Supper, which visibly and tangibly express the gospel. Though they are not the means of salvation, when celebrated by the church in genuine faith, these ordinances confirm and nourish the believer.
8. We believe that God’s justifying grace must not be separated from His sanctifying power and purpose. God commands us to love Him supremely and others sacrificially, and to live out our faith with care for one another, compassion toward the poor and justice for the oppressed. With God’s Word, the Spirit’s power, and fervent prayer in Christ’s name, we are to combat the spiritual forces of evil. In obedience to Christ’s commission, we are to make disciples among all people, always bearing witness to the gospel in word and deed.
9. We believe in the personal, bodily and glorious return of our Lord Jesus Christ. The coming of Christ, at a time known only to God, demands constant expectancy and, as our blessed hope, motivates the believer to godly living, sacrificial service and energetic mission.
Response and Eternal Destiny
10. We believe that God commands everyone everywhere to believe the gospel by turning to Him in repentance and receiving the Lord Jesus Christ. We believe that God will raise the dead bodily and judge the world, assigning the unbeliever to condemnation and eternal conscious punishment and the believer to eternal blessedness and joy with the Lord in the new heaven and the new earth, to the praise of His glorious grace. Amen.
What to expect
We know it’s not always easy visiting a church for the first time. You probably have some questions about the church you are attending and particular things that you are looking for. We want your first few weeks with us to be as comfortable and well-informed as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I wear?
Believing that God looks at the heart, not at our clothes, you should wear whatever is comfortable for you. You will find some people dressed more formally with suits and dresses and others coming in jeans or shorts.
Where do I park?
There are multiple places to park at Canton EFC. Parking is available off of either Chestnut or Elm Streets. Handicapped parking is available off of the main entrance of Chestnut Street.
Will I be conspicuous?
That is up to you. We have a Gathering Place near the main entrance off of Chestnut Street where you can get information or talk to someone who is familiar with Canton EFC. If you would rather go unnoticed, just enter the sanctuary and enjoy our time of worship. During the morning worship service you will have an opportunity to provide your name and address by filling out our connect card.
What are the people like?
They are just like you. They have dreams and struggles, just like you. They have questions about the meaning of life and are looking for answers. We don’t have all the answers, but we know Someone who does. We are all interested in seeking to learn what it means to go on a life journey with God.
What about my kids?
Is there a safe place for my kids to have fun and be taken care of? Our Children’s Ministry provides a safe environment for your infant through 4-year-olds in one of our four nurseries. You will find the check-in easily after you enter the building locate our KidCheck Kiosk and one of our Children's Ministry volunteers will help you get your child checked in and will attach a name tag to your child’s back. You will be given a guardian receipt that will allow you to pick up your child at their room at the end of service. If your child needs you, will be sent a text through our KidCheck Program. If you would like more information about KidCheck please follow this link to get more information https://www.kidcheck.com/about-us/.
What are the Worship Services like?
Each Sunday we celebrate what God has done for us, is doing in our lives today, and what we anticipate from Him in the future. Our worship service has a blended style and employs a variety of instruments and singing led by a worship team.
Will they ask me for money?
At Evangelical Free Church of Canton we do not ask our guests for money. The worship service is our gift to you. Whether you put something into the offering plate is up to you. We do take an offering during the service for our members and regular attenders to return to the Lord part of what He has given to us.
Is there a place for me at Evangelical Free Church of Canton?
Only you can make that decision, but we are here to help you determine if our church is a place where you can worship the Lord, grow in your faith and serve God by serving others. Contact anyone on our pastor staff by email or calling the church office for more information or talk to someone in the Gathering Place for more information about our church.
Will I still be welcome if I don’t believe the same things?
You will be welcome no matter what you believe. We are all on a life journey and want to encourage each other as we travel together. It is our hope that you will find a true relationship with God through Jesus Christ. This is the place to ask questions, to get to know what the Bible says and to meet followers of Jesus.
How will I know if Evangelical Free Church of Canton is for me?
Finding a church home might take some time and several visits to really know if a particular church is where you belong. While you are attending here, we hope that you find us friendly, discover places where you can learn, grow and make friends among our regular attenders. Please make the effort to talk to one of our friendly greeters or one of our pastors. The Senior Pastor, Matt Spangler, is always available right after the service ends right in front of the pulpit area. Please introduce yourself, he will be glad to meet you and share some things about our church that will be very helpful. You are welcome here!
Matt is a Fulton County native and currently serves as Lead/Teaching Pastor. Matt has been married to Haley for 9 years and they have three kids. Outside of church ministry, Matt enjoys hunting, fishing, reading, and helping out on the family farm.
Brandon has served as the youth pastor at EFree for 23 years. He has been married to Janelle for 24 years and they have eight kids. Outside of church ministry Brandon enjoys playing soccer and carpentry work. He loves Jesus and loves ministering to students!
Drew currently serves as the pastor of family ministries at EFree focusing specifically on kids from birth through 6th grade and their families. Drew has been married to Marybeth for 11 years and they have four kids (two foster kids). Outside of church ministry Drew enjoys board games, family time, and anything related to Star Wars.